Monday, October 20, 2008

WORK SHOP TWO - FLUID THOUGHTS TO ACTIONS

The name of this workshop is what initially attracted me to it, I was interested in how one could illustrate the feel or experience of a complex form or space though drawing.


We began the workshop on a chilly day out at the opera house. Using charcoal for the first time since high school was at points extremely frustrating. However as the day went on I began to get more enjoyment out of the exercise and understand the building better. We would move postions every now and then and therefore needed to try to successfully integrate this motion into our drawings. This I found especially frustrating.




Over the 4 weeks that this workshop ran we undertook a range of exorcises, mainly working with charcoal. We did a couple of group drawings, where we connected our own drawings together to form a whole. However this was the most frustrating of all the exorcised for me. I found it hard to understand the purposed behind the almost arbitrary way that we joined imaged together. The final compositions we created were entirely new images, some I thought were quite spectacular, however most had very little relation to the original 'thoughts' and were instead totally abstract artworks that perhaps could suggest architectural space, but a unintentional space generated from the act of combining images. I found this exorcise could be useful to brainstorm ideas and produce a concept, but I did not learn new ways to communicate a fluid thought I might be having.


Overall I had a mixed response to this workshop. I thoroughly enjoyed the development of our charcoal drawing skills through these exorcises and the useful tips and advice that we were given that will enhance our future drawing skills. The main thing about the workshop that I did not like was that I thought the exorcises (excluding the Opera House) were primarily aimed at advancing our skills in general and I did not learn specifically how best to apply these in architectural communication.

No comments: