Monday, October 20, 2008

WORK SHOP ONE - MATERIAL MODELING

Material Modeling was the first workshop that I attended. It coincided well with the balsa model that was required for design this semester. Prior to this workshop I had very little experience with model making. I thought the initial exorcises were fantastic as it showed the degree of precision that is required to achieve the clean aesthetic of professional models. I was amazed by the 1:1 models of objects we produced and their success in imitating the form and identity of those objects very simply.



For the main task we had to essentially remodel our bedrooms. I had a hard time deciding what I would do as my bedroom was slightly problematic to model. My room is entirely underneath a cliff or large rock and has no visible external walls aside from the front windows/door. The large rock actually makes up the wall of my bathroom.




For the model I decided I would celebrate this section of visible rock by revealing it entirely and moving the bathroom. I also extended my room outward and sidewards from the rock to lesson the cave like nature of the space.




Overall I found this workshop to be, along with Drawing, invaluable. I constantly use techniques and methods that I was taught in the workshop, and the skills I began to develop have evolved and improved.

No comments: